I’ve been having fun working with the D&AD to write a new typography workshop with them called ‘Typography Lab’. The first session runs in September in their wonderful new workshop space near Brick Lane. It’s going to be a jam packed day of exploring, choosing and customising typefaces in typical Type Tasting style.
Join typography expert Sarah Hyndman on a journey into the world of typefaces. Learn to use “the machine”, a proven process for choosing the right typeface, experience the joy of “typography yoga” and take the font “taste test”. Discover how to use typefaces to make an emotional connection that enhances the impact of your designs.
Sarah Hyndman, Graphic Designer and Type Tasting Founder
Sarah Hyndman is an experienced graphic designer with over 15 years’ experience including running the Experimental Typography course at the London College of Communication. Sarah organised the creative typography exhibition at the V&A, as well as setting up her own design company With Relish in 2003. She is currently writing a Type Tasting book.
• Understand how typography delivers messages and creates emotional connections
• Apply a proven process for choosing typefaces
• Talk confidently about typography with clients and your team
• Explain how small changes to your typeface can radically change the associations it generates
• Communicate with your team to maximise the effectiveness of the briefing process and outcome
Who is it for?
Typography Lab is for anyone who is curious about how typography can be used to elicit an instinctive response. It’s perfect for junior creatives and non-designers and explores the experience of typography from both the designer and the readers’ viewpoint.
Photo of Sarah by Rita Abreu